Important books for UPSC Prelims and Mains
Who doesn't want to clear the UPSC IAS examination in just first attempt? I think each one you who sat for the prestigious UPSC Prelims and Mains examination. And in order to succeed in the prestigious UPSC Civil Services examination, it is important that the aspirant has access to the latest updated syllabus and uses the best study material to prepare for the examination.
Most IMP Books For UPSC Exams in 2021
So, in order to excel the UPSC Civil Services exam, one needs to read important books and material. Here, we bring to you the best books recommended by UPSC IAS toppers.
Important books for UPSC (IAS) Prelims Preparation
Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations by M. Laxmikanth (Polity)
- This book needs no introduction. This is the only book which can bring wonders to your study style and is recommended by each and every IAS topper. It has become a must-read book for aspirants appearing in various competitive examinations and the civil services examination in particular.
Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania (Culture)
- This one book is a gem for your entire syllabus of Indian Heritage and culture. The content is also supported with a plethora of questions that will help students to prepare for the examination.
Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- This book is best-seller and is recommended by every UPSC IAS topper. The book covers the whole geography syllabus which is required for your UPSC prelims and mains examination. One can also go for NCERT books from Class 6-12 but, if you want to built some extra knowledge, then you must go for this book.
Oxford School Atlas by Oxford Publishers. (Geography)
- A must-have book for UPSC aspirants, the atlas includes 200 maps with 94 thematic maps of India.
Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh (Economy)
- This economics book by Ramesh Singh is a comprehensive text which covers every topic in detailed manner. The book is a stellar product, with many years of bestselling performance.
Economic Survey by Ministry of Finance (Economy)
- The Economic Survey by Ministry of Finance is the most reliable source data on India's economy. This book provides complete information about the policy and performance of the government.
India Year Book
- This reference book is an authoritative compilation of the complete information about the current affairs of the country, which includes important dignitaries, state policy, public schemes and important data related to demographics, trade, economy and others.
A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir (Modern India)
- A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir deals with the events that shaped the happening after the decline of the Mughal empire and the rise of East India Company and the advent of British rule in the country.
- The Hindu
- Other important websites/applications
Science & Tech
- Notes by Shankar IAS
- Daily Newspapers
- ISRO website
Environment & Ecology
- Recent events on Climate change through newspapers
GS Paper 1
Indian Heritage and Culture
- The Wonder That Was India A.L. Bhasham
- Indian Art and Culture Nitin Singhania
India and World History
- India's Ancient Past R.S. Sharma
- History Of Modern India Bipan Chandra
- India's Struggle For Independence Bipan Chandra
Geography of the World and Society
- Geography of India Majid Husain (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas Oxford (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography Goh Cheng Leong (Geography)
GS Paper 2
- Indian Constitution at Work (NCERT)
- Indian Polity by Laxmikanth
- Introduction to the Constitution of India by D.D. Basu
- Governance in India by Laxmikanth
- India Year Book
- Contemporary World Politics (NCERT)
GS Paper 3
- Economic Survey
- Science and Technology in India TMH
- The Environment for Civil Services prelims and Mains Khuller
- India Year Book
- ARC Report on Disaster Management
- Indian Economy by Uma Kapila
GS Paper 4
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude ( Ethics GS4)
- IAS Mains General Studies Ethics ( Arihant Manual GS4)